Sunday, 29 August 2010

Frenemies

Assalamu alaikum wa rahmatullahi wa barakatuhu.
We are now beyond the halfway point of Ramadan 2010. I would like to use this opportunity to give you an update on how I am since this was the initial purpose of setting this blog up. I want to fill you in on how I have been developing throughout the blessed month by discussing various aspects of my life. 
Firstly, I want to tell you that my confidence has grown in many ways, especially in regards to my attitude. I have learned that in my continuous attempt in bringing myself closer to my faith, I have generally become much more optimistic. In addition, my new outlook has not only benefited me but also those around me. I'm a believer that positivity attracts positivity and I have witnessed this through personal experiences. Moreover, such belief is indeed the fundamental tenement of  the major monotheistic faiths such as Judaism, Christianity & Islam in order to maintain a positive harmony.

"What is hateful to you do not to your neighbour. That is the entire law…" Talmud, Shabbat 314

"Do for others what you want them to do for you." Matthew 7:12

"Reject for others what you would reject for yourself." Mishkat-el-Masabih

I have seen a drastic improvement in my health, mainly because I have withdrawn from bad habits for the sake of God. I have noticed a change in my appearance; I am looking more rejuvenated by the day, not to mention feeling better from a health perspective. I believe it is due to the discipline I have accustomed myself to which inevitably come with the month of Ramadan. I stick to a routine now as every evening I have been attending the mosque, which infact has been providing me with a good source of exercise. I am more conscious of what sorts of food I put into my body and am drinking plenty of water - well as much as I can. Writing this blog has kept me from indulging into my leisure time listening to music or watching movies; not that there is anything wrong with amusement. However, I feel that we are living in an age where entertainment itself can have a corruptive impact if not restricted. Over all, I am proud of the discipline I am practicing and therefore can see with much more clarity that I have become more focused in my life.

It has taken me a while to realise that I love the company of my family more than anything. Time spent with my brothers is something I am proud to look back on and will not feel regretful about. My brothers are wise and inspirational individuals and their influence on my life is endlessly constructive. I am fortunate to have two wonderful brothers, an elder and a younger one. My siblings have enabled me to experience what it is to have such relationships. In addition, I have also earned more opportunities to talk with my parents and it has been more fulfilling for me in comparison to any time I have spent with friends. I have come to the realisation that everyone loves to have fun, not just myself. However, due to family commitments we must become responsible and reject such individualistic attitude; which I feel is the problem with mainstream society today (but that is another topic which i'd like to discuss later).

Regarding work and career, I must say that I have been freelancing on projects that I would have only dreamed of being a part of. I usually take this Holy month off from any work commitments so I can better utilize my time towards devotional purpose. However, by the grace of God, leaving my risk with Him has never failed to disappoint me. As I have much more clarity in my life now, I feel I can travel a better suited path now and hereafter. I have been working with a few charity organizations which I will refrain from talking about now, but I hope it can continue to give me the satisfaction I crave to be part of a positive change. I strongly believe that one should find something they love to do as that passion will be rewarding and not just contentment in regards to financial stability.

My dear friends and those I have left from my lackluster unfaithful past, thank you for being there for me. I receive messages randomly from some of you, who tell me how inspired you are with the changes I have implemented in my life. I want to take this opportunity to let you know that it is your kind words and blessings which has actually inspired me. My past has allowed me to realise that it is bad company which corrupts good moral behaviour. I hope this post will act as stern warning to people in my live.  I have grown to understand you will become like the company you keep so I have placed an importance of keeping people who are bad company at a distance in my live. I must warn you all that the friends you keep will only gain the opportunity to know you better, to know your weaknesses; the closer you draw them in, the more damage they are capable of doing. Brothers and sisters, please evaluate your friends as it is the stepping stone to good or corrupted morality in your life.

"Friends on that Day will be enemies one to another, except those who have Piety." Surah Az-Zukhruf - Ornaments Of Gold, Luxury verse 67

Those so-called friends in my life who seek to disturb my progression I am aware of your presence! I will leave you with some truthful wise quotes from Prophet Muhhamed (may the peace and blessings of Al'Mighty God be upon him).

"The best of friends is he who is best in behaviour and character."

"We should never for a moment think that company does not affect us."

"I like to sit with those people who spend their time in Dhikr especially those who pray fajr."

"Keeping the company of the people of Allah is not enough but one must also leave the company of those who are away from Allah."