Saturday, 1 January 2011

New Year's

Assalamu alaikum wa rahmatullahi wa barakatuhu.
The Islamic calendar begins in correlation from the time the Prophet of Islam, peace be upon him, migrated to the city of Madinah, in Saudi-Arabia. This journey is referred to as the holy pilgrimage - Hijra; The Islamic calendar is referred to as Hijri.

This year, the first day of the Hijri is approximately 26th November 2011 of the Gregorian calendar. The Hijri is a lunar calendar which has 12 lunar months in a year of about 354 days.

The Hijri calendar allows Muslims worldwide to determine Islamic holidays accurately. Islamic New Year celebrations mainly concentrate on religious practices. This year for the first time I attended my local mosque with my brothers for congregational prayers and informative lectures. I must say it was a pleasurable experience which by far exceeded some of my previous New Year Eve's antics.